the ArcoLinux team wish you a happy new year 2020

[OPEN] Calamares crash at end of install

batjka911
Crewman
Russia
Re: [OPEN] Calamares crash at end of install

Post by batjka911 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:26 am

Take a screenshot of your boot menu <F12> with the Arcolinux installation flash drive.
My goal is a Linux laptop no worse than a MacBook.

muttley
Crewman
Great Britain

Post by muttley » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Will do

muttley
Crewman
Great Britain

Post by muttley » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Quick update: I'm thinking that this was an issue with the specific make/type of motherboard.

I did do quite a bit of googling around linux and the motherboard model and some people have indeed had issues. However, there seemed to be no real solutions on offer, or if there were I did not find them.

So I went back to looking at the BIOS settings (usually trying variations around the boot order). I eventually changed IDE to AHCI for the SATA ports: big mistake. The machine has been on a boot loop ever since and you can't even get into the BIOS settings any more. Google lets me know that plenty of others before me have fallen into this trap and many suggest powering on and off while holding the power button down and using the on/off switch on the PSU. This has worked for some, but sadly, not as yet for me.

Looking back I think a wiser course might have been to leave the BIOS settings and upgrade the BIOS instead with QFlash as I have an old BIOS revision. I didn't do this since I've had a couple of "unfortunate events" with BIOS flashing recently : after 20 years of flashing all and sundry as an IT manager without incident.

I did have ArcolinuxB BSPWM working on this machine in the past: but it did turn itself off quite a bit (as the google posters suggested) and eventually this happened during an update which lead me to the reinstall. I might have been alright but the motherboard battery ran out and set it back to some strange settings: hence all my fiddling around in BIOS settings. Note to self: try optimized defaults before checking random settings!

Even with a new BIOS revision its likely that this motherboard never would have been reliable under linux so in the long term I may have saved myself some bother by breaking it now!

So with a heavy heart is back to my 15 year old HP.....sigh.

batjka911
Crewman
Russia

Post by batjka911 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:31 pm

muttley wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Even with a new BIOS revision its likely that this motherboard never would have been reliable under linux so in the long term I may have saved myself some bother by breaking it now!
Here is the link if you want to return to solving the problem (it may come in handy). And this.
Good luck!
My goal is a Linux laptop no worse than a MacBook.

muttley
Crewman
Great Britain

Post by muttley » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:30 am

batjka911 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:31 pm
muttley wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Here is the link if you want to return to solving the problem (it may come in handy). And this.
Good luck!
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Return to “BYOI ArcoLinuxB Bspwm”