the ArcoLinux team wish you a happy new year 2020

[CLOSED] No external monitor

First check the forums - Do not know where to put it then put it here
vancouver
Crewman
Canada
Re: [SOLVED] No external monitor

Post by vancouver » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 am

I know that I am in trouble when I google for a solution and find my own old forum post.

Here we go again....
About 10 days ago, I did the daily upgrade and upon rebooting the laptop (which has worked flawlessly for since I last posted here) once again can't see the external monitor.

To fix this, I restored from timeshift and the system was up and running.
A few days later, I installed the recommended upgrades and same thing. No external monitor. Timeshift restored.
Today, I got tired of not being able to update and installed the latest ISO 2020 x

The live-boot went fine, the external monitor was greyed out but I could easily enable it and make it my main display.
After installing the latest ArcoLinux ISO, the external monitor option is no longer available.

Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a fix?
I am having the same problem all over again and since I am at point zero (no OS since Timeshift isn't booting) I am going back to distro hoping. If ArcoLinux can be fixed, I'd prefer it but I am growing tired of the display issues. I don't know what to do. The good news is that on my desktop workstation, it updates and runs perfectly fine. Just not on the laptop. :(

vancouver
Crewman
Canada
Re: [SOLVED No external monitor

Post by vancouver » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:04 am

Just a quick update.

If I live boot the ArcoLinux 2020 release (latest ISO) then I can activate my external monitor via Settings > Display
After I install, Settings > Display no longer gives me any other option than the laptop.

Until December, all of this worked with minor hiccups which fixed themselves after updating.

xrandr no longer sees my display port.

If possible, I would like to keep ArcoLinux on all of my computers. Right now, the only choice I have is Mint which seems to use the opensource nvidia driver and like ArcoLinux, let's me turn on the external monitor via Settings > Display.

The really sad news is that Timeshift, which performed amazingly well until now, is not booting regardless of which snapshot I restore. I have probably restored the system half a dozen times between Christmas and Jan 12 but after installing the latest ISO (no change in partitions) .... sigh.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Keep calm you will figure it out.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

batjka911
Crewman
Russia
Re: [SOLVED No external monitor

Post by batjka911 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:50 pm

vancouver wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:04 am
The really sad news is that Timeshift, which performed amazingly well until now, is not booting regardless of which snapshot I restore. I have probably restored the system half a dozen times between Christmas and Jan 12 but after installing the latest ISO (no change in partitions) .... sigh.
No panic.

First, try to restore the system.

Boot from live usb. Install on it Timeshift and restore your snapshot.Then chroot into your system and run:

# sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

and just in case:

# grub-install /dev/sdX
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Exit from chroot and reboot.
vancouver wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 am
A few days later, I installed the recommended upgrades and same thing. No external monitor.
Re-read ArchWiki (NVIDIA section) and also /usr/share/doc/nvidia/README.
My goal is a Linux laptop no worse than a MacBook.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada

Post by vancouver » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Thank you batjka911,
For some reason, my timeshift backups have booting issues.
Even if I could restore a recent snapshot, I'd still be stuck with no further updates since something has changed in the Linux world.
I am a working professional and enjoy the benefits of Linux but the few open source software titles I use are available for W10 and by the looks of it, perform just as well on Windows. Currently, no Linux distro is able to drive my external LG ultrawide monitor which is too bad.
Thank you for helping, - v :)

batjka911
Crewman
Russia

Post by batjka911 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:59 pm

vancouver wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:06 pm

For some reason, my timeshift backups have booting issues.
You have booting issues because 2020 ISO have another kernel and command (in chroot)

# sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

returns the modules in your kernel to a snapshot state.
vancouver wrote:

Even if I could restore a recent snapshot, I'd still be stuck with no further updates since something has changed in the Linux world.
I had similar problem with NVIDIA driver (I have Optimus notebook)
But I carefully reread the NVIDIA section in ArchWiki and nvidia.README and solved my problems.
vancouver wrote:

I am a working professional and enjoy the benefits of Linux but the few open source software titles I use are available for W10 and by the looks of it, perform just as well on Windows. Currently, no Linux distro is able to drive my external LG ultrawide monitor which is too bad.
It’s a pity if you “raised your hands” and decided to leave the Linux world.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Come back, be patient and you will win.
My goal is a Linux laptop no worse than a MacBook.

Return to “General Questions”