Santa brings you ArcoLinux -D -B 19.12

[SOLVED] No external monitor

First check the forums - Do not know where to put it then put it here
vancouver
Crewman
Canada
[SOLVED] No external monitor

Post by vancouver » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:22 am

I want to think that ArcoLinux is the best but for some reason, the little things don't add up.
I an very disappointed that all over sudden, my external monitor is no longer seen.
Windows 10 has no issues detecting it but without any changes other than the regular daily updates, nothing has changed.

It is extremely stressful to complete work and deal with these issues that shouldn't be.

Settings > Display only sees the laptop and no external display.
Anyone else having issues or am I the lucky one?

It's late today but tomorrow, I'll do a timeshift restore to a few days back. If it fixes it then so be it. If not, then Blneder, OBS, Reaper and the like will have to run on Windows.
Last edited by vancouver on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada
Re: No external monitor

Post by vancouver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 am

Confirmed!
The last update (yesterday or the day before) included "something" that made my laptop forget the external monitor.
A Timeshift restore fixed the issue.

I hope that someone at ArcoLinux can look into this and fix it.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [OPEN] No external monitor

Post by erikdubois » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:56 pm

XFCE has been changed considerably the last days.

Maybe that is the reason.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada

Post by vancouver » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:01 am

@erikdubois

If you happen to catch this, what do you recommend.
Should I wait a few days and not run the daily upgrades?

I've read up on the XFCE changes and am amazed that they didn't catch this.

Right now, I am upgrading my main workstation which also runs ArcoLinux and will see what happens afterwards. Thanks to Timeshift, I can afford the risk.
OK, EXTREMELY BUGGY!
My secondary internal hard drive can not be written to (worked fine yesterday). And there is probably tons more that I'll discover. I don't want to go back to KDE but if XFCE doesn't get their stuff in order, I have no choice. These bugs should have been a show stopper!

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:57 am

Your setup is a laptop and connected to it is an external monitor correct?
What connection do you use to the monitor? HDMI or VGA or ...

Maybe I have the hardware to do a test here.

Dualscreen in XFCE works great on my desktops.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada

Post by vancouver » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 am

Correct. MSI laptop > external monitor. The laptop stays closed and only the external display is used. Sofar, this setup worked perfectly.
The connection from the laptop to the monitor is via display port. I've used that cable for about 2 years on the same device so I assume that it is good (works on Windows).
Yes, on the desktop, the dual monitors work perfectly.
The only thing that has changed since updating the workstation is that the second HD displays locks on all directories which is weird. Previously, a reboot fixed that but this time it doesn't.

I have not updated the laptop and have a working setup. Just not ideal as is.

arconaut
Crewman
Great Britain

Post by arconaut » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:31 pm

The recent XFCE updates have broken my Dual monitor setup as well (affecting openbox too).

Maybe it's because I have an unusual layout with the right monitor the primary and the left monitor rotated 90 degrees. Also I have then daisy-chained to a single Display Port.

You have some options:

1. You can have the "arandr" gui tool generate a .sh script, picking parameters from your current session's X configuration. The layouts will need to be saved to an .sh file so they can be run if needed at startup of the DE.

2. You can modify /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to add the following options (assuming you saved the script in 1 above as ~/.screenlayout.sh) :
[SeatDefaults]
display-setup-script=home/username/.screenlayout.sh
session-setup-script=/home/username/.screenlayout.sh

(the display-setup-script > calls your .screenlayout.sh before the login screen appears)
(the session-setup-script > calls your .screenlayout.sh before the user desktop session starts)

3. In openbox, you could also place the xrandr output directly in the autostart file in .config/openbox

4. A more graceful way which works across Linux distros in general is to set the monitor layouts in Xorg.

(This has the advantage of setting up the monitor configuration via the display renderer (xorg) before the desktop environment loads so it works across different desktop environments and never resets!)

To do this, firstly open as root the etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder and create a file there called e.g. 10-monitor.conf (any files in that folder will run in numerical order, so I chose the prefix 10 so it runs roughly in the middle) The full syntax is in the Monitor Section here, but is complex to get correct):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead
https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/ ... #heading12

P.S. Xorg -config manually tests the created Xorg configuration files, saving errors on reboot or logging out and in again. Run:
Xorg -config <config-filename-here>
Alternatively if you get a blank screen on reboot, open another tty terminal, login and run:
startx
It should show you the errors.

N.B. if you have an nvidia card, the nvidia-settings utility will create its own entry for you. To do this instead if you haven't done so already, install the nvidia driver from the repo (and the nvidia-settings utility) and reboot.

Before you start, open as root the etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder and create a file there called e.g. 10-nvidia.conf (any files in that folder will run in numerical order, so I chose the prefix 10 so it runs roughly in the middle)

1. Open nvidia settings as root by running: sudo nvidia-settings

2. Tab "X Server Display Configuration"

3. The monitors should be configured correctly in the right pane.

4. Press the "Save to Configuration File" tab at the bottom

5. Browse to the etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf file you created earlier and
choose this file.

N.B. Having an active file in etc/X11/xorg.conf.d will take precedence over any other method here as it will load before the DE!

Hope this helps others who may be having issues with multiple monitors since the recent XFCE updates.
Last edited by arconaut on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada
Re: [SOLVED] No external monitor

Post by vancouver » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:59 am

@arconaut
Thank you for taking the time to document a work-around/fix.

Update! The issue is fixed

A bit earlier, I saw that Timeshift had created a backup for today and so I updated to see what would happen. I had no expectations but knew that I can restore if need be. Amazingly, the update and reboot went better than expected and I have my system back to where it was.
Losing the external monitor was not a pleasant experience because the laptop has only a 15" screen versus the 34" ultra-wide connected to it.

Back to work ....

arconaut
Crewman
Great Britain

Post by arconaut » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Glad you're sorted :)

Let's hope it sticks across reboots.

vancouver
Crewman
Canada

Post by vancouver » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:55 am

@arconaut
It kind of sort of does. 9 out of 10 times it boots perfectly and once in a while I have to update and reboot.

Originally I was very disappointed because I needed to do fix a boo-boo on a website but the other day I've read that only 1% use ultrawide screens so .... it is what it is.
ArcoLinux is still one of the very few distros that even see my external monitor. RedHat does but Gnome is not my thing. ArcoLinux and XFCE is the perfect combination.

Thanks again for helping out. I appreciate it. :)

Return to “General Questions”