[OPEN] ArcoLinuxB Qtile ISO build

zhc95
Crewman

Hi,

I'm quite new to building ISOs so I thought I'd initially start out small and try to change a few things from the default to get an understanding of what is going on in the build process. I tried following the guides, including git cloning the latest arco-qtile repo and then modifying the packages.x86_64 file within the archiso folder.

In my attached out.txt I'm getting some errors that I'm quite unsure of and the first one I'm getting within the install procedure seems to be on line 4128 "Failed to open file ... read-only file system" - my initial guess is around whether it's to do with the need to pick only one of the ucode packages (AMD or Intel)? I think I have done a build successfully before while changing nothing so I'm a bit confused as to what this could be.

To test the actual ISO, I tried to load it onto a virtual machine but I can't get past the boot menu (it just resets itself).

Also included my packages.x86_64 file for reference in case there's any problems arising from further dependency issues that I was unaware of.

Link to files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/36r5n2f6tgr6 ... wcP5a?dl=0

Thanks
erikdubois
Captain

you need both ucode packages intel and AMD - archiso (package from Arch Linux) wants them both to be there

during Calamares installation we take care of these two packages.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.
erikdubois
Captain

this is strange in the out file

sed: /home/NAME/arcolinuxb-build/archiso/efiboot/loader/entries/1-archiso-x86_64-linux.conf kann nicht gelesen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
sed: /home/NAME/arcolinuxb-build/archiso/efiboot/loader/entries/2-archiso-x86_64-linux-no-nouveau.conf kann nicht gelesen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
sed: /home/NAME/arcolinuxb-build/archiso/efiboot/loader/entries/3-nvidianouveau.conf kann nicht gelesen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
sed: /home/NAME/arcolinuxb-build/archiso/efiboot/loader/entries/4-nvidianonouveau.conf kann nicht gelesen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
sed: /home/NAME/arcolinuxb-build/archiso/efiboot/loader/entries/5-nomodeset.conf kann nicht gelesen werden: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

see that you have all of the files from github
erikdubois
Captain

both ucode are available in the packages list that is good

anything else??

I see the iso is built
zhc95
Crewman

Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes both ucodes are there and thanks also for the background for why they both need to be there.

I did a reset and re-git-cloned everything and just tried to build the ISO with defaults and everything seems to work. Interestingly I still get similar errors in the log but the ISO can be loaded on a virtual machine.

When I try my custom one, the ISO does build as you have correctly observed but when I load it into a virtual machine to test, I get to the initial boot menu, but regardless of what is chosen, it resets and reloads the boot menu.

Hence I am convinced I might have removed something else that the ISO would need to load up. Comparing the package list in my packages.x86_64 vs your original, I've noted the main differences/omissions in mine:

- swapped out linux kernel for linux-lts (and same with the headers)
- removed nano
- used gvim instead of just standard vim
- blueman instead of blueberry (personal preference)
- removed nitrogen (personal preference here: IMHO feh suits my needs just fine)
- removed variety (similar reasoning to nitrogen)
- Included 'ttf-meslo-nerd-fonrt-powerline10k' - I did do a check via pacman -Ss and I think this can be installed via pacman -S since it's in the arco repos
- omitted all things to do with pamac and paru (am quite happy with using yay but may change my mind if I get curious about paru more in future)
- for Picom I use the Jonaburg variant (which like above I think is within the arco repos)

and usual additions I kept at the bottom of the file.

I also did a comparison between my package file and the one for the ArcoLinuxS-Lts ISO build since this should be a minimal build? One thing that stood out was that the linux kernel was still there despite also having linux-lts? Could that be a reason why the ISO couldn't boot past the splash screen? Or alternatively, do I need to specify a boot flag to be able to boot the LTS kernel the first time?
zhc95
Crewman

I just did a build with my package list and included the linux kernel alongside linux-lts. Now I can indeed boot into the live ISO proper!

I have a feeling it would be a boot flag I would have to enter at the start if I wanted the ISO to boot with linux-lts kernel. The only reason for wanting to omit the standard kernel was so that when I finished installing, I could safely set my default kernel to be lts and then remove the standard kernel, which is what I've done for my actual system - it just saves me having to download 2 kernels every time there's an update.
erikdubois
Captain

You will be glad that you have two if the current one you use fails...

but why not start with ArcoLinuxS-Lts or zen or xanmod and add your packages there then you actually boot with the kernel and later it is just a sudo pacman -R linux-...

https://arcolinuxb.com/byoi/

Get rid of any package (including xfce4), remove and add packages and install anything...
zhc95
Crewman

Thanks for the advice on the multiple kernels - something I’ll think about :D

After comparing against the S-Lts ISO file, I was quite surprised that other than the Qtile vs XFCE differences, the package list was quite similar so I think I’m on the right track. Main conclusion for me is to keep the 2 kernels on ISO and delete as needed post-install and then I can move on with other scripts for the personal directory that could hopefully automate some of the AUR downloads which I find useful.
erikdubois
Captain

Sounds like a good plan

Return to “BYOI ArcoLinuxB Qtile”