[OPEN] Openbox keybindings-Confused

forester
Crewman

I looked at a previous post and watched your video on this, but I believe I am still missing something, When I open xfce keyboard and try to modify a keybinding it is still not working. I am trying to have ctrl-space open rofi -show drun. After saving this and exiting the keyboard menu, it is still now working. I am new to openbox so any patient help is very much appreciated.
forester
Crewman

I keep trying to figure this out. At the top of the list under Keyboard-Application Shortcuts, Alacritty was set to ctrl-alt-enter. I decided to edit that one temporarily and removed Alalcritty and added rofi -show drun. When I close the keyboard setting and hit ctrl-alt-enter, it still launches alacritty. I tried restarting openbox, but I am still getting the same result. I know I must be missing something simple. I am bald, but if I had hair, I would have already pulled it out :(
erikdubois
Captain

in openbox you go to ~/.config/openbox and find the file that changes the keybindings that way

if xfce daemon is launched you change also ~/.config/xfce4 keybindings file

two files to changes ultimately and ofcourse reboot
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.
forester
Crewman

Ok, I set the keybinding under the keyboards app. I then corrected the keybinding in the rc.xml file. After doing this I rebooted and it is now working. Some questions so that I understand: 1 - When setting up keybindings in the future, I need to make the change in both the keyboards app and the rc.xml file? 2 - The file located at /home/myusername/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml --- Is this the file that holds the keybindings that I find with the keyboards app? 4 - When I make a change like this, I thought that using openbox - reconfigure would start the updated changes. I tried this, but it only worked after I rebooted.
Thank you for the response, patience with newbie questions and all that you do!
forester
Crewman

Apologies...I see that this must be a question you get a lot. I just found your video on your site: ArchMerge : 161 all about keyboard shortcuts and where they are stored. This helped me get a better understanding, but hopefully the last question I have on this is when I add a new shortcut for the arcolinuxb openbox install, I need to make the changes in 2 places: xfce menu: keyboards and rc.xml under .config/openbox?
erikdubois
Captain

yes the two places
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

Return to “Openbox”