[SOLVED] i3-wm in Virtualbox, Mod4 key to start dmenu not working.

UsernameJohn
recruit crewman

[SOLVED] i3-wm in Virtualbox, Mod4 key to start dmenu not working.

Post by UsernameJohn »

Hi all! My host system is Garuda Dragonized, KDE Plasma. I use the Super key, Windows key, Mod4 key or whatever else you can call it, to bring up the application launcher in Plasma. I use the same key to launch programs in Gnome. Naturally, for me, I am trying to do the same in i3 running on ArcoLinux in a VM. I'm using VirtualBox 6.1 with guest additions.

I was able to stop KDE Plasma grabbing the super key by making the i3 float, then using alt-F3 -> More Actions -> Configure Special Window Settings... Then click the button in the lower left labeled "Add Property..." Choose "Ignore Global Shortcuts..." Then set "Force" to yes.

So after digging around and finding out how to stop KDE Plasma from grabbing the Super key, I assigned the super key to dmenu. Nothing happens when I press and release the Super key.

Note, the Super key works fine in combination with other keys, and i3 seems to function properly. It's just the using the Super key alone does nothing. From the config file, these are the relevant lines:

set $mod Mod4
bindsym $mod exec --no-startup-id dmenu_run -i -nb ... you know the rest

Has anyone gotten this to work in Plasma using VirtuaBox?
Last edited by UsernameJohn on Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

erikdubois
Captain

Re: [OPEN] i3-wm in Virtualbox, Mod4 key to start dmenu not working.

Post by erikdubois »

Not every key can be set.

Look for a work around.

Openbox uses ksuperkey.

Maybe something for you.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

UsernameJohn
recruit crewman

Re: [OPEN] i3-wm in Virtualbox, Mod4 key to start dmenu not working.

Post by UsernameJohn »

ksuperkey looks interesting. I'll see if I can make that work. Thank you for the suggestion. Also, I really enjoy your videos. I've been wanting to slowly move to a tiling window manager and because of the channel, I've chosen ArcoLinux for my i3 VM. I look forward to learning more about Linux, thank you!

Return to “i3-wm”