[SOLVED] Hot-Plug SATA drive not being detected while system is ON automatically

Devious
recruit crewman

[SOLVED] Hot-Plug SATA drive not being detected while system is ON automatically

Post by Devious »

Hi There,

Am having an issue with (hot-plugging) my caddy/3.5 HDD/SSD mount drive bay/ICY-Box SATA drives connected directly to MB SATA ports, they are not being (populated/mounted) into the system automagically.

Hardware Probe

Here is what Iv'e so far :
- Followed this (solved) How do I enable SATA hot-plug? & it DOES work but thats not what am aiming for ! ;)
- Using other arch-based live distro's work initially (detecting the drive), but when installed on my system am back to square 1.
- Garuda worked perfectly, which defies what am challenging my self into. (did btw copy '50-sata.rules' file which iv'e found in Garuda & rebooted it with no success)
- Boot/Reboot DOES populate the drive perfectly with its content.
- Yes, did try to switch between controllers (Intel & ASM) with no luck!.
- I've installed "ArcoLinuxL" with its default settings, with no luck as well.

Running (udevadm monitor) gives out nothing when switching on the caddy/3.5 drive mount/hotplug ICY box.
according to dmesg (correct me if am wrong) the device is "detecting then not able to negotiate something then goes down".
BIOS settings are set correctly with (AHCI enabled on both ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller & Intel Chipset SATA Controller).

I've been diving head on with this for the past 2 weeks & more learning along the way, the fun into cmd/cli based commands & how to decipher your problems instead of relaying on GUI based programs/interface, ranging from how to "dmesg/lsblk/lspci to nano /etc/udev/rules.d & beyond trying to make sense of what kernel,modules, etc. installed" :]

This is my output when switching drive mount ON, without 'udevadm monitor output' as it doesn't show anything :
Before

After trying (solved) How do I enable SATA hotplug?
After

Being a noob in linux, & somewhat veteran in M$-Winbloze :P you'll "never Settle" .
So, any suggestions/help would be awesome.
Thank you :)

erikdubois
Captain

Re: [OPEN] Hot-Plug SATA drive not being detected while system is ON automatically

Post by erikdubois »

You are already further then I am.

This looks all very technical.

I will reread again later hoping that someone more savy comes along.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

Devious
recruit crewman

Re: [OPEN] Hot-Plug SATA drive not being detected while system is ON automatically

Post by Devious »

Solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/EndeavourOS/co ... _detected/

TL;DR: 8-)

Code: Select all

Edit /etc/tlp.conf and make sure, this line is present: SATA_LINKPWR_ON_AC="max_performance"
Thank you Erik as well, for helping out a n00b understand his way :D

erikdubois
Captain

Post by erikdubois »

thanks for sharling the knowledge for the next user
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

Return to “Kernel & Hardware”