ArcoLinux -D -B 18.9 are online

[OPEN] Arch Linux + Arco Spices install

linusvanpelt
Crewman
Australia
[OPEN] Arch Linux + Arco Spices install

Post by linusvanpelt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:50 am

Hi,

I thought I'd discuss my recent install of Arch Linux + Arco Spices (Phase 5 install), plus ask a few questions.

I'm installing on a Lenovo X1 Yoga laptop with HiDPI OLED screen, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, and Intel i7 CPU. I'm installing as dual-boot with Windows 10, with full encryption of the Linux ext4 partition, an LVM logical volume on the encrypted partition, and a single LVM partition for "everything". I'm using a swapfile instead of swap partition. The HiDPI screen often gives me configuration "headaches".

My installation notes are here:
https://github.com/scottbass/Linux/blob ... 20Yoga.txt

Since I'd installed numerous times in the past, I had my own installation notes, which are mainly just a synopsis of:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide.

If you do choose to read them and see something amiss, or something you'd do differently, please let me know.

The first thing I'll say is I don't think the "Arch way" installation is *that* hard. Once you've done it a few times (I've probably done it 10-20 times), it just becomes rote and "follow the cookie cutter instructions" that you have taken from previous installations. IMO, the only tricky parts are *deciding* on your partition scheme (rather than the actual partitioning itself) and perhaps the wireless networking. The rest is pretty easy IMO. I can get to a base install w/o X.org in about 10-15 mins, which is MUCH faster than installing Windows 10 (although that's a more complete installation than a mere base Arch install).

I also reviewed videos #1 - #32 from here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... lwoYqyt4SL (Erik's Arch Install playlist).

Here are some useful videos for installing with UEFI + full partition encryption + LVM:

After installing XFCE4 and i3, I wanted to add the Arco spices (i.e. "rice up") my XFCE desktop environment.

I reviewed these videos:
Arch Linux 36:
Arch Linux 37:
Arch Linux 38:

Arco Linux XFCE playlist:

I also added the ArcoLinux repositories to pacman.conf, then installed those packages that made sense for my setup.
Here is a list of the Arco Linux packages I installed:

genesis% sudo pacman -Q | grep arcolinux
arcolinux-arc-themes-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-common-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-config-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-conky-collection-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-docs-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-faces-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-geany-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-keyring 20180225-1
arcolinux-local-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-neofetch-ascii-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-neofetch-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-nitrogen-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-pipemenus-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-plank-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-plank-themes-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-polybar-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-rofi-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-rofi-themes-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-root-git 6.7-2
arcolinux-slimlock-themes-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-termite-themes-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-tint2-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-tint2-themes-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-variety-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-wallpapers-git 6.7-1
arcolinux-xfce-thunar-git 6.7-1

However, XFCE still looks "ugly", and is nowhere near what the Arco Linux Phase I install looks like.

I also installed some grub themes and themed Grub. See these packages:
pacaur -Ss grub- | grep theme

Perhaps the Arco Linux dev team can create and package up an Arco Linux-based GRUB theme? I think that would be a nice touch.

Question:
Perhaps I'm missing something, or have missed a particular video. How do I get my installation of XFCE4 to be *identical* the the XFCE install from Arco Linux Phase I?

While I'm no expert on Calamares, conceptually I think it would do the following (high level description):

* Collect input from the user (i.e. user menu choices)
* Partition the HDD
* Install base, optional software, X.org, and XFCE4/OpenBox/i3.
* >>> Run post-installation scripts to copy additional dotfiles, icons, themes, etc to configure the three desktop environments.<<<

It's obvious that it's _technically_ possible to programmatically configure the desktop environment; the Arco Linux distro + Calamares installer proves that.

So, are the post-install scripts that Calamares uses (or their equivalent) available for Phase 5 installs? In order words, is there a way I can ***quickly*** and ***easily*** make my desktop environment/window managers look and act *identical* to the environment installed in Phase 1? If not, are there plans to make these scripts available in the (hopefully near) future? And if not, where are the instructions so that I can configure *exactly* like the Phase 1 install?

Thanks...
Experienced programmer (ETL/DI/BI/SQL/Databases) but relatively new to Linux.
Lenovo X1 Yoga, Intel Core i7-6600U MB, 14.0 OLED WQHD Touch, 1TB SSD PCIe-NVMe,
16GB LPDDR3 SDRAM 1866 MB, Intel 8260AC+BT 2x2 vPro, Huawei ME906S WAN, Fingerprint Reader

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: Arch Linux + Arco Spices install

Post by erikdubois » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:20 pm

This is either a stupid question or a genius one.

Did you copy all hidden content from /etc/skel to your own home directory?
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
and only then use the power of our moderators.

linusvanpelt
Crewman
Australia

Post by linusvanpelt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Yes. In that I used Beyond Compare to merge /etc/skel with ~.

Should I just do a complete copy and replace instead?

(Beyond Compare is a better version of Meld but non-open source. pacaur -Ss bcompare)
Lenovo X1 Yoga, Intel Core i7-6600U MB, 14.0 OLED WQHD Touch, 1TB SSD PCIe-NVMe,
16GB LPDDR3 SDRAM 1866 MB, Intel 8260AC+BT 2x2 vPro, Huawei ME906S WAN, Fingerprint Reader

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:07 pm

You could try a copy/paste since that is what I do in the tutorial.

If you checked every file with meld or bcompare then you should come to the same result.

I guess another look at the video can help.

linusvanpelt
Crewman
Australia

Post by linusvanpelt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 pm

Erik you've got 300+ videos on YouTube and counting (and thank you!) But in the interest of a complete and precise answer, which "the video" should I take another look at? Link please.

I also asked if there are plans to automate this process in the future. That question remains unanswered.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:51 pm

They are on the page.

Arch Linux 37 and 38 is where it happens.

linusvanpelt
Crewman
Australia
Re: [OPEN] Arch Linux + Arco Spices install

Post by linusvanpelt » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:43 am

Is this the complete list?

genesis% ls -a1 /etc/skel
.bash_logout
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.bashrc-latest
.config
.conkyrc
.face
.gtkrc-2.0
.local
.xinitrc
.Xresources
.xsession
.xsessionrc

I executed cp -R /etc/skel ~ and rebooted. XFCE doesn't look like the Phase 1 install. Panel at the top, wrong icons and theme, wrong background, etc.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:29 am

show me a screenshot

linusvanpelt
Crewman
Australia

Post by linusvanpelt » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:10 pm

I'm away for the weekend (hotel) with limited internet access. Please keep the post open. I will respond probably Monday evening my time.

Furthermore, I've manually fiddled with XFCE post-installation (eg. moved panel to bottom, changed icons and theme, etc), so I'm not sure the scrot will be a valid test. What I can say is, after running the arcolinuxd/arco-xfce scripts, I had a vanilla XFCE installation. After installing the arcolinux_repo packages, and merging /etc/skel with ~ and rebooting, there was no change. I then fiddled with XFCE. After running a full cp -R /etc/skel/.* ~, there was no change.

My plans are: reformat my Linux partition, re-install Arch, re-run the arco-xfce scripts, re-install the repo packages, cp -R /etc/skel ~, and take a scrot at that point.

It's not *that* much work, but is some work, just to get a vanilla XFCE screenshot. So if there's a better approach let me know.

Since I've not had an answer to my previous question, I'll assume that the post-installation that Calamares does for Phase 1 isn't available for Phase 5, and any plans to make or not make that available in the future are not public.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 am

These are hidden files. Make sure you get them because they do change here every time.

Return to “Arch Linux spiced up with ArcoLinux herbs”