[SOLVED] Changing Ĺayout for already existing containers

meisenberg
recruit crewman

[SOLVED] Changing Ĺayout for already existing containers

Post by meisenberg »

Hello dear creators and members of the arco linux community,

thank you all first for this great experiences. I think that all the thought and effort put into the arco linux project makes it a fun learning experience!

I am coming from Manjaro Linux i3 community edition and do really like the Xtended B Version with all Tiling window managers.

During configuring i3 i noticed something and i can't find the reason yet:

On Manjaro I3 i am able to change the container layout from tiled to stacked/tabbed also with existing containers.

On Arco i noticed i have to decide before i bring in a new window, which layout it shall have but then i am not able to change it anymore.

What is the reason for this and is there a possibility to implement it into arco?

Thanks alot and keep going with the great work!

erikdubois
Captain

Re: [OPEN] Changing Ĺayout for already existing containers

Post by erikdubois »

This needs studying.

In the meantime enjoy ours.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

buttonbox
recruit crewman

Re: [OPEN] Changing Ĺayout for already existing containers

Post by buttonbox »

This is meisenberg again who couldn't relogin.

I made an error in the question already and it has nothing to do with manjaro or arco. The layout change i was curious for, applies only to each container parent + children, not all containers (this is i3 default).

Now the autotiling script is the reason why it behaves a little different than default, because every new created window seems to be a new parent unless you give a new design. With activated tabbing layout for example, all new windows will be children of this single parent container. These can be put to stacked and back to tabbed and to tiled but from there not back to anything else. Seems to be part of the script.

To have the best of both - default (which gives freedom to change layout more) and autotiling- i made a bindsym in the config to activate it and another to kill it again.

[Solved]

Return to “i3-wm”