ArcoLinux -D -B 19.5 iso's have been released

[OPEN] DBUS issues logging into a different window manager lock up.

userx-bw
Crewman
United States of America
[OPEN] DBUS issues logging into a different window manager lock up.

Post by userx-bw » Sun May 26, 2019 9:26 pm

I had ArchLinucD installed, I ran trim and it screwed up my system, something to do with Samsung ssds and a Linux kernel bug issue that I later found out about. So I just re-installed arcoLinuxD then installed the desktop I had on it along with xfce4, I never experienced this issue until this second install. e16 needs to have it set up as a two phase start, starting from the desktop file Exec points to a different executable file that sets dbus addess then calls to have e16 start. this is how I had it set up in the first install, and it worked perfectly. Now it is locking up the login manger to where it will either hang in the logout or when logging into a different WM it just hangs, and I'll hit ctrl alt backspace to log out, even though it is not completely logged in, about three times then I get a message about the manager and a file in /tmp that it is having issues with.

what I am running now is the archlinux with theses 3 wm in it, and it too is doing this same thing.

If I shut it down it starts a desktop manager job and sits there counting off the time, I am not sure of the exact name it uses, but something to do with what I said it was called.

Having just logged into xfce4 I get this.

Code: Select all

[userx@arcooo ~]$ echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
which is exactly the same thing I get when I check e16 logging into that WM.

this is the file that sets Dbus for e16.
#!/bin/bash

# Start DBUS session bus:
 	if [[ -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ]] ; then
	{
    	eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
 		echo "setting: $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" > ~/e16.log
    	export $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
	}
	else
 		echo "alldone $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" > ~/e16.log
	fi

/usr/bin/starte16
is there some kind of special log out to do now? Because there is an exit script that e16 runs on log out it its sessions.sh

#!/bin/sh
#
# Default script for e16 session start/restart/stop management
#
# Assuming misc.session.enable_script is set and misc.session.script
# points to this script it will be called with parameter
#
# - "init"  first time an X-session (with e16) starts
# - "start" every time e16 (re)starts
# - "stop"  when e16 exits without restarting
#
# On init, start, and stop the script will run any executable found in
# ~/.e16/Init/, ~/.e16/Start/, and ~/.e16/Stop/, respectively.
# These executables do not have to exit as they are called with '&' from here.
#
# NOTE:
# In multi-display/screen setups the DISPLAY environment variable can be used
# to differentiate.
#

#echo $DISPLAY

RunApps() {
	local d;

d="$ECONFDIR/$1"
	test -d "$d" || return

for f in "$d"/*
	do
		if [ -x "$f" ]; then
#			echo $f
			case "$f" in
			*~)	# Assume this is crap - skip
				;;
			*.sh)	# Scripts are executed in foreground
				"$f"
				;;
			*)	# Anything else is executed in background
				"$f"  &
				;;
			esac
		fi
	done
}

case "$1" in
init)
	RunApps Init
	#Shutoff touch pad and touch screen
	xinput set-prop $(xinput | awk '/TouchPad/ {print $6}' | cut -d= -f2) "Device Enabled" 0 &
	xinput set-prop $(xinput | awk '/Digitizer/ {print $7}' | cut -d= -f2) "Device Enabled" 0 &
	wmix &
	wmCalClock &	
	gkrellm &
	nm-applet &
	[[ -x /usr/bin/dropbox ]] && dropbox start &
	[[ -x /usr/bin/dropboxd ]] && dropboxd start &
	blueman-applet &	
	qbittorrent &	
	conky -c /home/userx/.config/conky/wo-conky-system-lua/WO-conky-system-lua-v3.conkyrc &
	;;
start)
	RunApps Start

;;
stop)
	[b]RunApps Stop
	pkill -u $USER[/b]
	;;
esac
Image Image

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [OPEN] DBUS issues logging into a different window manager lock up.

Post by erikdubois » Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 am

So you have ArcoLinuxD. Which version?
Then you install Xfce4. With our scripts from github.com/arcolinuxd/xfce?
Then you install Enlightenment with what scripts?
Then you install a third desktop. Which one?

Installing different desktops will get you in trouble as a general rule. Some of them can be mixed together.
Others can not.

It will be always experimental and a bit out of the scope of ArcoLinux.
Use one desktop you like, is the best advice we can give.
There will be background services launched and switching from A to B to C will result is such messages.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

userx-bw
Crewman
United States of America
Re: [OPEN] DBUS issues logging into a different window manager lock up.

Post by userx-bw » Mon May 27, 2019 2:47 pm

erikdubois wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 am
So you have ArcoLinuxD. Which version?
Then you install Xfce4. With our scripts from github.com/arcolinuxd/xfce?
Then you install Enlightenment with what scripts?
Then you install a third desktop. Which one?

Installing different desktops will get you in trouble as a general rule. Some of them can be mixed together.
Others can not.

It will be always experimental and a bit out of the scope of ArcoLinux.
Use one desktop you like, is the best advice we can give.
There will be background services launched and switching from A to B to C will result is such messages.
are you the only one that knows anything about this distro, because here you are again answering one of my questions on it.

No, I had arcolinusD the very first time, then I did a trim on my drives it screwed up everything, found out a bug on samsun ssds, so I reinstalled archlinucD again that already has xfce4 included on it. reinstalled e16 https://sourceforge.net/projects/enligh ... files/e16/ Just like I did the first time using a modified slackbuild script, the old scool way of installing software, configure, make, sudo make install. I could post it if you want. But its a big script that compiles and installs a lot of stuff for e16.

Anyways, then it did not act as it did on that very first time I used arcolinuxD w/xfce4. I started getting this hanging in the login manager if I was to logout and into a different WM, xfce4 to e16 or visa a versa, a few more reinstall tries later, I went to see what else you have, picked the plain arcolinux that has your 3 WM already on it, xfce4, openbox, and i3, then did the same install of e16. https://sourceforge.net/projects/arcoli ... ArcoLinux/

I did however fix an issue I did concerning the code block for checking and adding a dbus session, then added that to not only a separate script, and to the session.sh startup script e16 uses for an autostart script.

Concerning e16, in order for automount to work, it has a "work around" go get the dbus to work, both this method I've used on slackware, void linux, mint, peppermint, manjaro, and various other Linux Distros. they all work, and the methoid of installing e16 to all of the other distros all have worked seamlessly. it even worked in this ArcoLinuxD I had installed and asked my first two questions on in here, until I had to reinstasll it.

this is the one I have installed right now arcolinux-v19.05.2.iso

e16 needs to have the dbus called first then call to start e16 next, this is done by simply adding another script in the front of this process that establishes the dbus fist then calls for e16 to start next, in turn e16 runs its session.sh script to autostart everything before starting itself, as a typical desktop does with an autostart script

scripts for build and install of e16 and extras

https://pastebin.com/xfi2vnT7
https://pastebin.com/tvAh46uD
session.sh I manually copy in.
https://pastebin.com/51FpdMuv

Now it has changed some and is the way it is setup using that script to install everything, and using two dbus calls for checks, one in the script I use before hand before calling to start e16, then in session.sh s posted scripts indicate.

I thought I had it fixed as it was logging in and out of all of the desktops without errors until I rebooted it then tried it again then this happened.

I am getting this message when going from e16 to thins time openbox, having to attempet login a few times before it let me in. then this message popped up.

Return to “Xfce-4”