ArcoLinux -D -B 19.11 has been released

[SOLVED] Laptop Hangs heats up after lid is closed for a long time

codestruggler
Crewman
India
[SOLVED] Laptop Hangs heats up after lid is closed for a long time

Post by codestruggler » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:49 am

I have an HP envy laptop with 32GB ram, 1TB HDD, I7 8550U, Installed Arco 6.9.2 updated to 18.9.5. Yesterday I had kept the computer lid off for about 8 to 9 hours straight. After I came back and opened the lid. I saw a black screen with Caps lock key blinking indefinitely. The laptop had become extremely hot. I googled and found HP offering a wide variety of solutions like powering off, Hard reset, Updating BIOS and so on and so forth. I finally got the machine to hard reboot and it worked fine booted into Arco just fine. But now I am afraid to keep the lid down just from the fear that it will go into run away heating again. Are there any solutions I can try in the Arco side that can get rid of this problem, I remember Erik mentioning improvements in the lid close scenario but cannot recall exact video and the solution to it.
Also one thing I noticed is that once i close the lid the wifi connection is lost and then when you open the lid the connection is re-established. I think this is definitely is by design right ?
Thank you so much for tolerating a newbie like me in the Arco community.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [OPEN] Laptop Hangs heats up after lid is closed for a long time

Post by erikdubois » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 pm

The wifi thing is indeed normal - it reconnects.

Did you do a copy/paste of /etc/skel contents because there is specifically a setting in there for when you close the lid of the pc?

My laptops do not heat up in any way (when closing the lid) so it might be best you google with your brand and name and see if you have to do something specific for your hardware.

settings editor of xfce

Make sure this setting is set to false and report again.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

codestruggler
Crewman
India

Post by codestruggler » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 am

My settings are exactly as yours. I copied /etc/skel in my home folder long time back. My problem is solved after I ran the script to use all the cores. (extremely sorry for not running this earlier, I felt as if once i setup my system i would run this the last).
Actually many other problems that I was facing were also solved by running this script.
Thank you so much. Indeed very grateful. At this stage I feel I can use Arco linux as my daily driver.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 am

it is strange that running the script for all cores fixes your issue.
let us just be pleased with the result...
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

Return to “Laptop”