recruit crewman

[OPEN] How can I make to use the GPU?

Post by PinyaColada »

I have the GPU with nvidia installed as you can see if I do:

Code: Select all

$ lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)" 
It returns:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 (rev 04)
	DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 11f9
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 11f9
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
But I don't know how to use the GPU, I would prefer to only use the GPU since I'm always on power.

erikdubois
Captain

Re: [OPEN] How can I make to use the GPU?

Post by erikdubois »

Give us more info

copy/paste from discord

After checking there is no such issue posted on the forum you create a new post in the correct forum. Give us the following elements at least.
- what iso are you using - type' iso' in the terminal and copy paste that in the post between tags in the forum post
- type 'inxi -b' in a terminal and copy/paste the code between tags in the forum post (sudo pacman -S inxi --- if not available)
- type 'probe' in a terminal and provide us the link (sudo pacman -S hw-probe --- if not available)
- what graphical drivers have you installed
- on what desktop does the error occur
- is that system up to date - go to TTY (CTRL + ALT + F2 or in VIrtualbox RIght CTRL + F2) and type 'update' and reboot first
- why do you think you have an issue - previous actions can explain the current issue

then search the website with the word optimus

https://arcolinux.com/?s=optimus
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

PinyaColada
recruit crewman

Post by PinyaColada »

1.-

ISO_RELEASE=v21.01.7
ISO_CODENAME=ArcoLinuxB-gnome
ISO_BUILD=Sat Jan  2 11:04:32 AM CET 2021
2.-

System:    Host: pinya-ge73vr7re Kernel: 5.10.27-1-lts x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: GNOME 3.38.4 Distro: ArcoLinux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Micro-Star product: GE73VR 7RE v: REV:1.0 serial: <superuser required> 
           Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-17C1 v: REV:1.0 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends 
           v: E17C1IMS.100 date: 05/19/2017 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 40.2 Wh (94.1%) condition: 42.7/53.4 Wh (79.8%) 
CPU:       Info: Quad Core Intel Core i7-7700HQ [MT MCP] speed: 897 MHz min/max: 800/3800 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 460.67 
           Device-3: Realtek HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~120Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.1 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath10k_pci 
           Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet driver: alx 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 28.16 GiB (2.4%) 
Info:      Processes: 230 Uptime: 3m Memory: 15.52 GiB used: 1.79 GiB (11.5%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.03 
3.- I installed the latest driver 460
4.- I use gnome
5.- It is updated
6.- This laptop always had problems with the drivers, having the right drivers is always not all you have to do, in manjaro witch it has a gui driver installer, if I had linux-video installated in the intel + mod-settings and Nvidea 460 it never used the GPU. I really don't understand why this happens but I tried installing the optimus to see if I can change anything this way but it crashes. How should I install the optimus? how can I change the intel drivers?

erikdubois
Captain

Post by erikdubois »

A thought... some users have told me they can change settings in their Bios/uefi settings of the motherboard.

Look up if that is possible on yours.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

Return to “Graphical Drivers (Nvidia,...)”