[QUESTION] What was your first linux distro, and first Arch(-based)?

Off-Topic Not ArcoLinux - or GNU/Linux-related and NOT a support thread? Talk about it here!
fhins
Crewman

Re: [QUESTION] What was your first linux distro, and first Arch(-based)?

Post by fhins »

I started with Ubuntu back in 2007, then Mint, Netrunner, Manjaro, KDE neon, Kubuntu, Angtergos, and now ArcoLinux for about 8 months. I must say ArcoLinx has been the best KDE distro I have ever used, and the support has been second to none! Many thanks to Erik, and the Arco team!

erikdubois
Captain

Post by erikdubois »

Feels good to read this. The hobby can become quite challenging at days... :oops: :shock:
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

fhins
Crewman

Post by fhins »

That's why I suggest to every one to support ArcoLinux when ever you can an as often you can to make it climb to the top of Distrowatch!
This may be not the right place to say this, my only suggestion to Erik (on Plasma )is to consider making the minimum install "real minimum" like KDE neon! I think you'll attract a lot more people, and that's only going help! ;)

erikdubois
Captain

Post by erikdubois »

Will keep it in mind when making ArcoLinuxB Plasma iso
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

eesau
Crewman

Post by eesau »

The first one for me was Ubuntu 8.04 in 2008, and it was good enough experience that i basically didn't look back after that. Once in a while i try Windows just to check what's going on in that world, but it's been 99,72% Linux since 2008.

I think the first Arch based distro was Antergos, maybe 2016 or 2017... At least it was the first that i used quite a bit and with it i kind of discovered Arch world. Didn't bother with mainline Arch back then, because of the installing process which didn't make much sense (for me). It doesn't make very much sense today either, but since then i've done it several times just to check if it made any difference in the end. It didn't, so that's why ArcoLinux. :)

spnzd
Crewman

Post by spnzd »

2003/2004 Switch from Windows (xp) to Linux.
I didn't find that easy, working in the terminal.
After trying Out Suse, fedora, etc I ended up with a Debian core install, because of the large community. Fortunately, Ubuntu soon came into the world with an out of the box user interface on debian. Have cds delivered several times to spread. Cafes, libraries etc.
Then Unity came to Ubuntu. That was the moment to look further.
Mint/Mx/antix/bunsenlabs/grunchbang/etc.
Half 2019 I started broadening my horizons and made the move to Arcolinux. My first introduction to arch. After watching videos and trying ArcolinuxB/D etc, I found out that arch is very easy and clear. love kiss. I learned a lot in a short time. :ugeek:
Tried in the meanwhile Manjaro, artix, archbang etc.
Arcolinux remains the most flexible. ;)
Preferred DE xfce i3.

Nice work Arco team.
ArcolinuxD I3 xfce4 :: Compaqe 8200 Elite

Return to “Open chat”