[SUGGESTION] ArcoLinuxB - offer Multi-DE ISO

Post your suggestions and improvements for future releases of ArcoLinux.
Kepos
Crewman
Seychelles
[SUGGESTION] ArcoLinuxB - offer Multi-DE ISO

Post by Kepos » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:49 pm

There are a lot of interesting DE out there and ppl are curious about how the other's might look and feel. One of the most impressing way to offer different desktops in one Linux OS was with Multi-DE ISO from Mageia.

During installation process, you will be asked which DE you want to install by simple check/uncheck them. If you like, you could install all together and choose which one to use at the login screen.

Could this be done with ArcoLinuxB ISO's too?
For now, I count impressing 15 different DE-editions for ArcoLinuxB. All prepared to be installed in 5 minutes and all well equiped for every level of knowledge about Linux the user might bring with.

This idea might blow up the single leftover ISO a bit, but on the other way, you no longer have to manage 15+ different ISO's.
So far I read about, under the hood, all B-ISO's share the same database and the DE is just a question of users choice.

My own level of learning Linux is not far enough to start such an project, but probably anyone else could see the possibilities in it.

So, how about the Multi-DE ISO idea?

skillsetPC
Crewman
Re: [SUGGESTION] ArcoLinuxB - offer Multi-DE ISO

Post by skillsetPC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:38 pm

TLDR: If you don't mind working in the terminal for a few minutes ArcoLinuxD is the answer.

I'd suggest jumping into ArcolinuxD where you are installing the iso with fool-proof Calamares. Then you transition into getting the scripts for whatever desktop you want with a simple git command. Follow along the scripts and customize to your needs. Many articles and videos on the topic as well. It's easy enough for this caveman and you get to hack around some scripts (text files) to pick and choose exactly the building blocks you want. Then when you return to ArcoLinuxB (Build) you are ready to create your personal iso as you will be familiar with what packages you require. The power is in your hands already. Cheers.

Kepos
Crewman
Seychelles

Post by Kepos » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Well, thx @scillsetPC, I'll consider using this solution personally, anyhow it's quite the opposite of what I was aiming for with my suggestion.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:42 pm

I am dreaming for a setup like on antergos...

lets dream on ...

who knows ...
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

Kepos
Crewman
Seychelles

Post by Kepos » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:08 am

Actually I realized, that you did start to go forward with the Multi-DE idea. :D

Did a new install with the new 2020-03-03 B-Deepin iso and found the new ArcoLinux Tweak Tool with the option to install further DE's additionally.
What a wonderful idea. Appreciate that!

Well, besides I got some minor issues with it:

- The Xmonad DE didn't work for me due to missing dependencies and produces CTD when selected.
- There is no choice, which DE to prefer, so it is only sorted by name and takes the first in the row.
- You could install and re-install DE's, but there is no choice to de-install it in the Tweak Tool. Found out how to de-install Budgie with software manager, but it's a bit inconveniant to have install and de-install on different places without an idea weather I managed to kill all dependencies. Would be nice to have an option for de-installation in Tweak Tool too.
- As I'd like to save Cinnamon as a second choice after Deepin, I'm not sure how to do a clear de-install of the Gnome DE without conflicts, as it installed at least one Gnome version or some Gnome files with it. Actually I can choose out of 3 or 4 Gnome versions without a marker how they differ from each other.

Suggestions:

- offer de-install button in the Tweak Tools
- offer a kind of sorting or choice which DE to prefere at start (except from the auto-start option, which I personally don't like to use)

Great enhancement btw!

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Kepos wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:08 am
Actually I realized, that you did start to go forward with the Multi-DE idea. :D

Did a new install with the new 2020-03-03 B-Deepin iso and found the new ArcoLinux Tweak Tool with the option to install further DE's additionally.
What a wonderful idea. Appreciate that!

Well, besides I got some minor issues with it:

- The Xmonad DE didn't work for me due to missing dependencies and produces CTD when selected.
- There is no choice, which DE to prefer, so it is only sorted by name and takes the first in the row.
- You could install and re-install DE's, but there is no choice to de-install it in the Tweak Tool. Found out how to de-install Budgie with software manager, but it's a bit inconveniant to have install and de-install on different places without an idea weather I managed to kill all dependencies. Would be nice to have an option for de-installation in Tweak Tool too.
- As I'd like to save Cinnamon as a second choice after Deepin, I'm not sure how to do a clear de-install of the Gnome DE without conflicts, as it installed at least one Gnome version or some Gnome files with it. Actually I can choose out of 3 or 4 Gnome versions without a marker how they differ from each other.

Suggestions:

- offer de-install button in the Tweak Tools
- offer a kind of sorting or choice which DE to prefere at start (except from the auto-start option, which I personally don't like to use)

Great enhancement btw!
De-install is not gonna come any time soon - just too complex with 15+ desktops
You can choose with what DE to login in lightdm - that is the one you will use by default and autologin in to it.

Kepos
Crewman
Seychelles

Post by Kepos » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:31 pm

Just a heads-up, after latest patches, the Tweak Tool is no longer able to install any additional desktop. It stops the process with undefined error warning.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 pm

Launch it via the terminal

and you will learn why it is not installing anymore on your computer and still installs on ours.

Show us the image.

Kepos
Crewman
Seychelles

Post by Kepos » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:15 pm

Ok, running Deepin DE and trying to install Budgie DE.
Here is the image from terminal:

It's writing about package conflicts, but without stating which ones. So it seems useless to me.

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium

Post by erikdubois » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Yeah useless
you need to know which ones.