ArcoLinux 19.09 iso has been released

[QUESTION] Rolling release and stability of ARCH

"Off-topic" but Linux related discussion, about ArcoLinux or other distributions.
hitecPanda
Crewman
United States of America
[QUESTION] Rolling release and stability of ARCH

Post by hitecPanda » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:44 am

I really do like what i have seen in Arcolinux but one worry I have is about the nature of a rolling distro. I would hate to spend a bunch of time on an install and then be forced to update stuff only to find out it breaks or makes things unruly. I've listened to a whole bunch of Linux folks in various podcasts who know a ton more about Linux than I do and many of those folks don't use Arch because of that. I hope I can set up a LTS kernal to make some kind of stable system in ARch. I guess I will find out soon enough what the deal is on this matter but I'd like to hear from anyone here if you have any thoughts on this.

Anyway, this is something I have been wondering about.

HitecPanda

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [QUESTION] Rolling release and stability of ARCH

Post by erikdubois » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Arch has the reputation of being hard, just for nerds and that it breaks easily.

After 3 years of usage I can say Arch does not break. There will be applications from AUR that will not update for a 3-5 days but then the maintainer fixes the issue. Or there will be applications you can not install because they just upgraded an element on which it depends. Again typically wait time for the fix is 3-5 days.

In my experience I was always able to fix the issues that presented themselves or I was just lazy and waited for the fix to come in.

Always keep track of the news on the archlinux website - they will tell you what you should do if there is an issue.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

hitecPanda
Crewman
United States of America

Post by hitecPanda » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 am

I appreciated your input, Erik.

The more I am playing around with ArcoLinux, the more I like it, and I am learning more about Linux in the process. :D

Your videos have helped me out a lot and I can see more of how things are fitting together, I really doubt if I could have gained that just by reading text based explanations since I am a more visually oriented person.

HitecPanda

darknetmatrix
Captain
Belgium

Post by darknetmatrix » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:24 am

Using Arch (ArcoLinux) from the start of it and it is as stable as a rock. And i am using it without the LTS kernel.
linux user # 527315
I never lose. Either I win, or I learn.

Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “ArcoLinux and General Linux Discussion”