ArcoLinux -D -B 19.5 iso's have been released

Question about Calamares installer and Archmerge implementation

"Off-topic" but Linux related discussion, about ArcoLinux or other distributions.
defpdx
Crewman
United States of America
Question about Calamares installer and Archmerge implementation

Post by defpdx » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Hello-
As I am sure most are aware, Ubuntu is currently considering adding a opt-out check box for HW specific data collection to be included in the Ubiquity installer in the upcoming Ubuntu release. Now as someone who would consider himself relatively concerned with matters of privacy (not like on the level of Richard Stallman, or anything, but still..), this got me curious into potentially looking for a replacement to the *Ubuntu Mini* build I am currently running on my main box. ArchmergeD is currently my goto on my secondary machine, and I would gladly use it on my main box. Reason I haven't yet, really is just due to rolling nature of Arch and the finnicky nature of my main machine's HW.

Anyways, I was reading up on the latest release of the Calamares installer (V.3.2.0-rc3) and there is a paragraph that I was curious about:
It is now possible to configure Calamares to “phone home” at the end of an installation and to configure update-manager with a machine-specific URL. Use the tracking module for this.
https://calamares.io/calamares-3.2.0-rc3-is-out/

Now the way it is worded makes it sound like the only thing new here is the ability to configure it to 'phone home' at the end of the install, vs. any other moment of the install.

So my question is this:
How, if at all, is this tracking module implemented within an Archmerge install?

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: Question about Calamares installer and Archmerge implementation

Post by erikdubois » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:24 am

I have read it too. We are not using 2.0 for now. More info will surely follow. The goal is probably get info to improve calamares faster by getting more technical info when things break or crash.

Let's stay on our toes and wait for now.
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

defpdx
Crewman
United States of America
Re: Question about Calamares installer and Archmerge implementation

Post by defpdx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Will do. Glad to see that you caught this as well. Look forward to getting some clarification on this soon.
Thanks for your reply, Erik.
A lot of people are talking about what you are doing. Fantastic work :)

Return to “ArcoLinux and General Linux Discussion”