[OPEN] Mac Pro 2,1 Installation

RodgerBru
Crewman
Canada
[OPEN] Mac Pro 2,1 Installation

Post by RodgerBru » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:27 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking to install Arcolinux on a Mac Pro 2,1 that have an EFI32 but support 64bits OS. I read that Legacy mode installation should be avoided as it is not optimal for power and fan management. Is there a complete tutorial somewhere I can find to install your distro or build it from scratch with Arch Linux? I have read on various sites several publications talking about installation on this type of computer, but all of them were talking about Ubuntu. I want to go more with a distro based on Arch. Can someone help me see more clearly?

Thank you

erikdubois
Captain
Belgium
Re: [OPEN] Mac Pro 2,1 Installation

Post by erikdubois » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

RodgerBru
Crewman
Canada

Post by RodgerBru » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks, but I've already looked at this article. Nothing worked for me. The second link is more about the macbook air. I even look with a modified ISO (https://mattgadient.com/linux-dvd-image ... 06-models/) in order to be able to start ArcoLinux (which worked) but when I install it, the Linux system does not start. I tested an install of Linux Mint 19.3 modified by the same maintainer and it starts normally. I don't understand the difference between the two environments.

RodgerBru
Crewman
Canada

Post by RodgerBru » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:25 pm

Hello,

I finally managed to get Arcolinux to work by preinstalling Linux Mint 19.3 on an MBR partition, with two partitions, either a mount point / on sda2 and / boot on sda1. Subsequently, I installed Arcolinux next to it. My only concern for now is that I have a core that is still 100% constant use. I don't see which system process is responsible for all of this. I would really have liked to have the EFI boot in place. Are there other ways to do this?

Thank you

Return to “Mac Hardware”