[SOLVED] Wireless interface has vanished [Solved]

kendew
Crewman

[SOLVED] Wireless interface has vanished [Solved]

Post by kendew »

A year and a half ago I installed Arcolinux on a NUC6CAYH for a friend who has returned to Japan, far out of my reach. All had been going well with the Arcolinux install and updating, but recently wifi no longer works. Having to troubleshoot via video chat complicates things, as I can't copy-paste results of commands easily here. Anyway, 'ip link' shows only an ethernet interface, and no wireless interface at all, not even a generic wireless interface like wlan0. 'iw dev' also reports nothing. Of course rfkill can't help out in this case. However, lspci -k shows the driver, iwlwifi, to be active.
Suspecting a hardware failure, I had my friend boot the NUC from the Arcolinux USB stick originally used to install the system. Wifi was working fine on booting from the stick so I ruled out a hardware failure of the wireless card. It seems Arcolinux has somehow forgot the wireless network device, and I would like to know how to help it get its memory back.
I'd appreciate some suggestions here. Since I'm working at a distance with someone not that Linux savvy, I'd like to start with easier stuff like modprobe manipulation and save more difficult tasks like using arch-chroot from the USB stick to reinstall software as a last resort.
Thanks for any ideas. Any help appreciated!
Kendew
Last edited by kendew on Sun May 24, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

erikdubois
Captain

Re: [OPEN] Wireless interface has vanished

Post by erikdubois »

Depending on kernels that might happen.

Arch Linux updates their kernels constantly.

see if a linux-lts can fix things

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -S linux-lts
Learn, have fun and enjoy.
But first use the power of the Arch Wiki
use the tutorials on https://www.youtube.com/erikdubois
then use the power of google
then use the power of our moderators.

kendew
Crewman

Post by kendew »

Eric
Thanks so much for replying. Looks like I forgot to mention very important point that there is no ethernet connection, so no internet for installing linux-lts. My bad. That's why I was talking about maybe having to use arch-chroot.
When I first installed this system, I did install linux-zen in addition to the default Arch kernel, as a precautionary measure. But switching kernels didn't solve the problem, perhaps because they are too similar??? I'm thinking now I should have installed Linux-lts as you are suggesting. I found others with a similar problem here and here which looks suspiciously like my problem, but at this stage I'm not going to attempt a downgrade but plan to boot from the ArcoLinux USB stick connect to wifi through it and use arch-chroot to upgrade the system, hopefully installing a new kernel version and maybe solving the problem. I'll let you know if that does it.
But what I would like to ask you, as I know your knowledge of software is very deep, is:
1. Is there a good wifi diagnostic tool that I could install? I'm wanting to keep in the lxqt ecosphere so don't want to install something like wicd.
2. What software should I install or reinstall in case my idea above doesn't work, and
3. If I also install linux-lts for future possible repeat of problems, will having three kernels around make problems?

Thanks. Great distro!

kendew
Crewman

Post by kendew »

Guess I'll just add here that I tried what I said I would (above) and it worked, so all is well.
I also went ahead and installed linux-lts just in case such an event happens again in future.
Thanks for help and suggestions

Return to “Networking”